Daniel Willingham's Blog - the 'top' people read this!

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Daniel Willingham's Blog - the 'top' people read this!

Post by debbie »

http://www.danielwillingham.com/index.html

When I say the 'top' people read this, I am referring to the highest level of politicians in the education field in England.

What I'm trying to say is that Dan Willingham has captured significant attention here in the England because of the science and sense behind his work.

Daniel Willingham's blog is worthy of reading by serious educationalists! :wink:

It has always struck me as sadly ironic, however, that the teachers themselves are so overwhelmed with the demands of their jobs and the associated bureaucracy, that they won't have time to read such material - and yet they are the very people who would be most served by learning of the science and sense. :cry:

Which would actually mean that their pupils would then be the most served. :?
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.aft.org/newspubs/periodicals ... ingham.cfm

Taken from Willingham's site, this article is about 'Practice'.

It makes it clear that for embedded learning, we need students to 'overlearn'.

The article is generalised to students of all ages and subjects, but its message is relevant for the field of reading instruction.

What I see in schools that I visit is far too much practice which amounts to entertainment at the expense of every child focusing on his or her own, personal paper-based practice.

Why 'paper-based' if something more entertaining will do the trick and engage the child?

Not all learning needs to be paper-based but a lot of it does when the subject is reading, spelling and handwriting. What could be more fit-for-purpose than each learner having a new bank of cumulative, decodable words to read independently, letters and letter groups to practise their handwriting whilst saying the associated and focus sound - and spelling-with-editing routines involving hand-written practice - and reading cumulative texts and answering questions about the texts?

It is very gratifying to have a wealth of information from very studied people confirming through the science what I have deduced from my experiences as a practising teacher/ headteacher/ special needs teacher - and parent!

So, what comes first 'the chicken or the egg'?

My teaching experience came first - getting me thinking about teaching and learning effectiveness, alerting me to wrong ideas and practices I saw all around me here in England.

Then, action came next. Challenging/questioning official national training I was made to attend and, quite frankly, hitting a brick wall in terms of anyone in authority being the slightest bit interested in those questions.

Then, years of reading information, meeting people in the research and phonics domain including phonics programme authors such as the 'Jolly Phonics' people and others - and then being pointed in the direction of the UK Reading Reform Foundation which I became involved with in 2000.

Still, however, we need to call upon people like Dan Willingham and a very strong team of 'Learning Difficulties Australia'.

That brings me to another site which is very important for serious educationalists...
Last edited by debbie on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.ldaustralia.org/

'Learning Difficulties Australia'

Here in England, it seems to me that many of the 'dyslexia' organisations are not as up to speed with what works really well as mainstream folk.

It used to be that the 'special needs' teachers were the ones who were wise to the need for phonics instruction - but it was (is) all based the notion of creating 'different personalised programmes' for different learners.

Well, Sir Jim Rose pointed out that it is '...the same alphabetic code and phonics skills that we all need to learn'.

Precisely.

Whilst the special needs teacher does need to ascertain what it is that the learner is struggling with, nevertheless, there is no need to create new ideas and bodies of work for each learner.

We now have very good, systematic, cumulative, phonics programmes, reading books and materials from various publishers - probably better than ever before thanks to modern publishing and thanks to the internet.

So, we need to be able to EVALUATE the resources, programmes and PRACTICES that have been used traditionally for some decades and make sure that our current practice is truly up to speed and evidence-based with our CURRENT knowledge and understanding about reading instruction.

The team at 'Learning Difficulties Australia' strikes me as leading the way in Australia - perhaps more than the 'mainstream' educationalists in Australia?

[I keep being told that Australian teachers are at least ten years behind England.]

Well, not all of them - a number of schools are wise to systematic synthetic phonics teaching - but not, it seems, are the Australian universities equally wise and evidence-based:

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Pho ... cation.pdf

[This report above does not, apparently, reflect typical practice in Australian schools but certainly in Western Australia, a number of schools around the one above are getting wise to systematic, synthetic phonics teaching!]

And the politicians in Australia surely need to get on board with something akin to our Year One Phonics Screening Check used here in England.

In fact, why don't they use the same check as us and then teachers would know how effective their whole language and mixed methods teaching is compared to simple explicit synthetic phonics teaching and practices?

Let's bring on the 'evidence' through national objective, snapshot testing - that's a form of science - same teachers, same aged children, same timing, same test, same administrative practice.

[If only the teachers don't get tempted to cheat of course because too much 'pressure' is brought to bear.... :?]
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://phonicsinternational.com/forum/v ... .php?t=424

Here is the link to the FREE Department for Education's Year One Phonics Screening Check material (DfE in England).

It is such a simple assessment - 40 words - that is, 20 real words and 20 pseudo words.

I am ever hopeful that individual teachers/schools may be curious enough to try out the check on their pupils (of course there is no official pressure on them to do so which is great) - and that, someone might read my appeal with official influence in their district or country - and that this notion of us all using the check will appeal to their sense of science and curiosity!

We have an international problem of 'illiteracy' - it is so widespread in the English language and in other languages.

At one point will the 'big boys' in education, politics, big business, big charities get the message?

The message is that there is more than enough science and really good practice for us to know how to teach all the children, all the people, to be literate.

But, we simply have this huge DISCONNECT between people doing the stuff that really works and the people with the power, the money and the infrastructure to make a difference world-wide.

There is the wonderful Malala giving her life to promoting the need for education for all (and she has literally nearly given her life) - who does she put to shame with her unbelievable bravery?

How can we link up all the dots - so that we can have education for all, health for all, literacy for all?

We can be visionary and aspirational - but my frustration is that we do have the means and the knowledge to achieve this if the right dots could be truly linked... :roll:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Debbie Hepplewhite