A Ray of Hope and Vision Rescue

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

A Ray of Hope and Vision Rescue

Post by debbie »

http://arayofhopeunesco.blogspot.com/20 ... quest.html

I am convinced that many people can help others simply by networking to share their expertise, resources - and friendship.

I only learnt about 'A Ray of Hope' a few weeks ago - and I heard from Andy of 'Vision Rescue' only days ago.

I am so impressed - people who go out of their way to help others and to make a difference in whatever way they can.

Please do investigate these groups and see if there is anything you can contribute - or whether you know of someone - or some 'company' - that can make a direct difference to people's lives. :D

Thank you to Don of 'A Ray of Hope' and Andy of 'Vision Rescue' - you have been an inspiration to me.
Last edited by debbie on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

The message below is the latest update from Andy Robson of 'Vision Rescue'.
Hi Debbie,

Hope you are well and that you had a good Christmas! I am still in Mumbai and the phonics is taking shape. It has been extremely hard to follow your scheme exactly how you have set it up because of the sheer lack of resources, new children, different ages, language problems, inexperience of teachers and many other reasons.

However, I have worked hard with the teachers to get them to understand how the basics of the scheme work and the children on the bus are starting to read English. They are really starting to pick up the sounds. Thanks for your support with this.

I have also set up a link with a partner project in Goa. When Vision Rescue find abandoned, abused or ophaned kids they send them to Rescue Homes that they have set up in Goa. There are 120 children in these homes and the children come from all areas of India.

They have just started a brand new school and have qualified teachers teaching there. All subjects are taught in English and it is a prime school to launch your phonics international scheme. I will be returning there in April and the teachers would like me to spend time introducing them to new english ideas. Some of the children are older so I will be looking out for a suitable scheme for them.

If it is possible I would really like to meet up with you before I go back to Goa. I am back in England in March when I will be working at a school in Surrey. Could I come and visit you one weekend?

I have attached some photos of the school in Goa and some of the rescued children in the homes.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care,

Andy
To me this is truly heartwarming work-in-progress and nothing makes me happier than hearing from people whom I may have been able to help in some small way.

Further, this issue of being able to contact people across the world via the internet never ceases to inspire me because of its possibilities.

The key factor is getting information out through the internet - but also utilising the 'networking' notion.

Whilst you, yourself, might not be directly interested in various projects, you might know someone who has a particular interest - or who is in a position to support through one means or another. I've simply had online material to provide and a certain amount of expertise in the field of reading and spelling instruction - but Andy has acted as the conduit for that information to reach the people working with children and for information about his work, and the work of others, to reach me - and now through me to others via this forum.

These organisations that Andy mentions and supports also need educational material and financial support.

If anyone reads these messages - and knows someone who can help - please spread the word! :)
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Further, please see the website of the Bethesda Life Centre. Has anyone got an interest in supporting these people or promoting their work please?

Hi Debbie,

Please feel free to update the phonics international thread! Also, I forgot to give you the web address for the school in Goa (The Rising Star). It is part of the Bethesda Life Centre:- www.blcgoa.com

I will be in touch soon with some possible dates for me to come up and visit. I have sent an email to Don at 'Ray of Hope' to see if he can help with resources for the school.

Many Thanks

Andy
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0DX0cM4ruY

See above for a video of the work of Vision Rescue in Mumbai, India.

I have had a wonderful update from Andy Robson with the latest developments.

Andy has now set up an official charity in the UK called 'Streetlife' to raise money for the project. Please support this wondeful project.

I want to be more pro-active in giving publicity to wondeful people doing work such as this so I'm going to ask people who have benefited from any of my free information and resources at our various websites to donate to Andy's charity.

Maybe, if you are working in schools in relatively affluent parts of the world, you could dedicate your fund-raising for a year - or a particular time of year - to the Streetlife and Vision Rescue project.

Please give your support. Give something. Thank you.

Andy wrote:
Hi Debbie,

Hope you are well! It has been a long time since I have contacted you but I wanted to give you an update on the Vision Rescue Project in Mumbai.

The teachers here have been using your phonics scheme on the buses and we have street children that are now able to successfully read English words because of the scheme. Pearsons also gave me some phonics reading books for free which I got through my school rep. Last year we set up a school in one of the slums and as I am back in Mumbai I am going to be doing some phonics training with them. I still have access to all your resources which the bus teachers have also been using but I wondered if I could also have access to the early years material which is now on a different web address.

Also, I have now set up an official charity in the UK, called 'Street Life', to raise money for the project. Our website is www.streetlifeindia.co.uk

We are just in the process of setting up a new website but this will give you an outline of the charity. I have also just set up a 'Street Life' facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Streetlifeindia
Keep up the very good work Andy and colleagues - and well done to the children! :D

We hope to have more news of international projects where Phonics International is helping to bring literacy and teacher-training across the world in 'not affluent' contexts. So watch this space!
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I've heard from Andy Robson again - and this time he sent me photos of phonics in action on the School Bus - heartwarming to see!

I've set up a forum especially for Phonics International in Africa and in India as new projects have started up in Africa now.

http://phonicsinternational.com/forum/v ... =1746#1746
Debbie Hepplewhite