Suggestions for teaching Joined Handwriting

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

Suggestions for teaching Joined Handwriting

Post by debbie »

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Joi ... riting.pdf

This one-pager refers to the importance of joined handwriting for spelling and writing.

It includes single letter examples of a style which I've adapted and taught to all age groups very successfully in the minimum of time.

I don't advocate teaching joined handwriting in Reception classes as some schools do here in England (4 to 5 year olds) because I personally prefer children of this age to focus on simple print and directionality and pencil hold and (of course) the phonics teaching!

I'm leaning toward the introduction of joined handwriting mid to end of the year for Year Ones when they have already received a year and a half at least of phonics teaching and handwriting opportunities.

I'm planning to produce a video clip as soon as possible about teaching joined handwriting. I'm afraid far too many schools are not, in my opinion, rigorous enough, or effective enough, in teaching joined handwriting well for all students. It's perfectly possible, however, to make a dramatic difference in less than a term for any age range. In fact, I've seen dramatic differences in only a day or a handful of lessons.

Teaching handwriting needs to be a whole school approach without a shadow of a doubt. Gains can be dramatically lost if subsequent teachers don't all have high standards and consistency and a determination that it's simply good practice to advocate and ensure good penmanship and good presentation of written work and project work. :?

This document can be downloaded from the homepage via the 'In a Nutshell...' box!
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Update:

Of course now we have a purpose-designed website for providing alphabet and handwriting resources.

It includes free video and printed guidance for my joined handwriting style and some very useful free one-page 'alphabet' resources.

Add your preferred version of these to your pupils' or child's phonics folders.

See www.debbiehepplewhitehandwriting.com

You can also get the software for re-producing the joined handwriting to make school resources. This is not our product but the work of Carol Cockeram who worked really hard to create the software to match my joined and print styles. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite