Training for leadership skills to improve infant literacy

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Training for leadership skills to improve infant literacy

Post by debbie »

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,182508.html

Teachers for leadership skills training
Tuesday, August 20 2013

The Ministry of Education has launched a pilot project to train principals and teachers in leadership skills aimed at improving literacy of pupils in Infants Years One and Two in preparation for entry to Standard One in the primary schools.

“The project is aimed at improving the reading skills of pupils in Infants Years One and Two 2 in the primary school system through the leadership of school principals, and to enhance the teaching skills,” Education Minister, Dr Tim Gopeesingh said yesterday.

Gopeesingh, who launched the project titled “Leading for Literacy Now” at St Joseph’s Convent School, Port-of-Spain said that positive results will be seen among the children in the short term.

The project funded by UNESCO involves 40 primary schools and their principals and 80 teachers.

The outcome of the first training sessions, Gopeesingh said “is to teach 6,000 primary school pupils to become competent readers.”

The number of pupils in both infant classes totals over 130,000.

Also assisting in the pilot are NALIS and Blink Mobile Foundation as well as the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment which is focusing on team building exercises with the participants.

I do wish I knew what this training will 'look like' with its aim for improving literacy skills in the infants.

I've sent a 'comment' promoting the need for systematic synthetic phonics and suggesting the use of Alphabetic Code Charts which are free to download at:

www.alphabeticcodecharts.com :D
Debbie Hepplewhite