Background noise may hinder toddlers' ability to learn words

This is the forum for participants of the 'PHONICS TRAINING ONLINE' course written by Debbie Hepplewhite. Participants are welcome to add their own comments. Debbie will contribute any relevant up-to-date findings, issues and developments. To find out about the course, go to: www.phonicstrainingonline.com .
debbie

Background noise may hinder toddlers' ability to learn words

Post by debbie »

I think this is a very important issue as pre-schools can be such large, noisy and busy places.

Early years' accommodation can also be in very unsuitable halls with poor acoustics.

Further, with an emphasis on child-initiated activities, what is the balance, in reality, with quiet, adult-led activities enabling focused and clear language development opportunities?
Keep quiet, I’m learning words (Background noise may hinder toddlers’ ability to learn words)

I think this study may give some food for thought on how big preschool-classes should be and also on the word gap, although the results of this new study aren’t that surprising actually: the presence of background noise in home or at school can make learning new words more difficult for children.
https://theeconomyofmeaning.com/2016/07 ... arn-words/

The same environmental issues are relevant for phonics teaching - which, in any event, should include the teaching and learning of new vocabulary.
Debbie Hepplewhite