4 SEN children

Any questions/comments/observations relating to the educational content of the programme can be posted here. Any 'technical' problems to the 'Technical Problems' forum please.

Moderators: admin, debbie

Jayne

4 SEN children

Post by Jayne »

I am looking forward to using some of your resources with 4 children with very different problems. I thought I would start this thread to let you know about the progress they make. I am assessing at the moment to see what they do know and will build upon this.

All children are year one. All have had phonics teaching since beginning of reception but have made very little progress. I intend to take each child for 15 to 20 minutes daily.

I have printed out the SOUNDS BOOK ACTIVITY SHEETS and will start with these.

Will report back when I have finished assessing. We have the dreaded OFSTED in at the moment so things are not going quite as planned :evil:
debbie

Post by debbie »

Jayne - good look with your Ofsted inspection! :wink:

I am in the process of making more material for the PI programme. :D

This includes Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters and some I can spell activities - so do keep your eyes on the website for these additional resources.

Can any of your children work happily in pairs?

The reason I ask is that there are some activities in the PI programme which lend themselves to be played with 'friends'.

For example, there are the Pairs Games in units 1 to 6.

There are the new Letters, Sounds and Pictures Matching Games in units 1 to 6.

Have you thought about a resource like the Can Do Cubes which can be used alongside the PI programme? These are good to use on a one to one and small group basis and make good manipulatives - especially for learning the letter/s-sound correspondences to automaticity and for simple blending and segmenting purposes. You would only need the 'Home Edition' stage one set for your particular pupils at the moment. See www.candocubes.com if these sound of interest to you.

The very simple activity of using just a very few Grapheme Cards placed face downwards on the table for the learner to turn over and 'say the sound' - and keep the card if the sound is correct - can be a good learning activity.

Also, the Say the Sounds posters and Say the Sounds booklets might be good 'rehearsal' resources which could be used in cooperation with 'home' if this is appropriate.

I expect you are well aware of all these types of activities and will do them anyway!

Please don't hesitate to ask any advice about the ways you can use the PI programme in particular - and we are really looking forward to hearing how you get on with your four pupils. :lol:
Debbie Hepplewhite