Michael Tidd: Is it time to bring Ofsted in from the cold?

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Michael Tidd: Is it time to bring Ofsted in from the cold?

Post by debbie »

I'm with Michael Tidd here.

I'm hopeful that Sean Harford can help to transform Ofsted into an organisation that is truly fit-for-purpose for supporting schools to provide the best of what is possible.

https://michaelt1979.wordpress.com/2016 ... -the-cold/
Is it time to bring Ofsted in from the cold?

5 May 2016

There’s been a clear rehabilitation process over many months now, and both Mike Cladingbowl and Sean Harford have done a great deal to try to win over the support of the profession. But there is still a lot of damage to repair. Ofsted is not yet a friend of the profession at large.

And arguably, nor should it be. An inspectorate should not be too cosy with those whom it inspects. But it must garner the trust and respect of the profession if it is to achieve its best in raising standards within it.

In the past it definitely failed. Too often schools and teachers found themselves doing things for Ofsted which did not help children to make progress, and sometimes even distracted teachers from that all-important role. Ofsted was seen too often as a punitive scrutiny of the minutiae, rather than a healthcheck on the quality of provision in schools.

Hopefully things are changing.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Very interestingly, and encouraging, Michael Tidd describes his school's experience of an Ofsted inspection since changes to the official handbook, and possibly the very ethos, of Ofsted inspections:

https://michaelt1979.wordpress.com/2016 ... xperience/
But those of you still awaiting the call will be more interested in the process than the outcome, so let me start by saying that having spent the past 18 months building up my collection of “But Sean Harford says…” comments, I didn’t have to call upon it once. The team who visited us were exemplary in their execution of the process according to the new guidance and myth-busting in the handbook.
It would be wonderful indeed if Ofsted inspections moved towards a sense of collaborative agreement and support in contrast to being intimidating with potentially career-breaking and damaging judgements.
Debbie Hepplewhite