Reading Recovery

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
pdwroe

Reading Recovery

Post by pdwroe »

I read the following article in my local freebie newspaper the other morning whilst having breakfast :evil: .
PUPILS at a Derbyshire primary school have improved their reading skills so much that they are being given a national award.
Stenson Fields Primary School introduced the Every Child a Reader scheme more than two years ago to help pupils who had poor literacy levels.
The school used a technique called reading recovery for children aged five to seven.
The scheme pays for highly-skilled teachers to provide intensive help to children most in need.
It also aims to support children with less severe problems and improve class teaching of literacy.
The school was receiving its award during a ceremony at the V&A Museum of Childhood in London today.
It was singled out for the way its reading recovery programme has inspired good working practice within the county.
Head teacher Shirley Smith said: "We are delighted to have won this award. Taking part in Every Child a Reader has enabled us to have a significant impact on pupils' attainment, giving them confidence and raising their self-esteem."
Pupil Hollie Moore, now nine, was one of the first children at the school to take part in the programme. She said: "I started with words like 'in' and now I am reading words like 'technique'.
"Before I could read, I used to wonder what it would be like.
"It has given me a lot of confidence."
Her mum, Gail Moore, was very positive about the programme and said: "The reading programme helped Hollie tremendously. She became confident and she could see how much she was improving.
"Now Hollie enjoys reading and has no problems picking up a book, newspaper, menu or instruction leaflet and she is able to read confidently."
South Derbyshire MP Mark Todd has been campaigning to get the scheme extended to more schools and has led a debate in Parliament on the subject.
There are currently three schools in south Derbyshire that run the scheme but Mr Todd is pushing for more to be involved.
The Government has pledged to extend the scheme to 30,000 children by 2011.
Mr Todd said: "This is a successful scheme to support children who have fallen behind in reading.
"Reading is the key to almost all learning and is critical to a child's participation in the wider school community.
"I've seen the positive impact this scheme makes on both a child's achievement levels and on their personal self-confidence."
The award is being given by the Every Child A Chance Trust, which ran the scheme before the Government took it over last September.
My day did get better later thankfully!!
Has anyone got any experiences with Reading Recovery?