Further guidance coming soon...

Any questions/comments/observations relating to the educational content of the programme can be posted here. Any 'technical' problems to the 'Technical Problems' forum please.

Moderators: admin, debbie

debbie

Further guidance coming soon...

Post by debbie »

I have heard from a parent who has commented that there are so many resources in the online programme that this is potentially overwhelming for parents who may need more step-by-step guidance.

I am appling myself to this forthwith. We have every intention of providing audio and video training which will also be forthcoming.

The programme is designed to be flexible for people in many different scenarios - for example, beginner readers, older learners, learners for whom English is an additional language, learners who have special needs in basic skills literacy.

This makes it difficult to provide step-by-step prescription which is equally suitable for all contexts.

What I can do is to write guidance for 'suggested scenarios'.

Ultimately, people do need to become familiar with the range of materials to decide what they want to use for their learner's context.

'Teachers' also need to become familiar with the teaching principles which really are very simple:

This is The Alphabetic Code.

These are letter/s-sound correspondences which we introduce systematically and steadily at a speed appropriate to the learner.

We need to teach the code from print to sound for reading and sound to print for spelling.

We need to practise handwriting as an integral part of the programme.

[Note: The Sounds Book activity sheets include all the direct instructions related to teaching the correspondences of The Alphabetic Code and the three essential skills.]

When applying code knowledge and blending skills to reading (decoding), there is no guessing words from multi-cueing guessing strategies - therefore don't ask learners to read text (books) which is beyond their code knowledge and blending skill.

When used in a school setting, the programme is designed to be collated and sent home to parents in an ongoing way.

The resources relate to supporting the teaching, the learning and the application of the learning.

Building a bank of vocabulary and providing opportunities for plenty of speaking and listening is an integral part of the programme even if the introduction of letter/s-sound correspondences has to slow down compared to the speediest programmes. The programme is designed for skills teaching and learning to be rigorously and routinely rehearsed along with learning new letter/s-sound correspondences.
Last edited by debbie on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/for ... um.php?f=8

See: 'Guide to using the programme' forum! :lol:
Debbie Hepplewhite