Phonics International with 10 to 11 year olds

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Phonics International with 10 to 11 year olds

Post by debbie »

I have been asked to post this on the message forum as this teacher was having some difficulty accessing the forum at the time. We're going to sort out her access problems so that she can post her own feedback personally in future! :wink:

I have been absolutely amazed by the impact that Phonics International is having in my classroom of Year 5 and 6 students. At first I was unsure how phonics would fit into Key Stage 2 teaching, however as I am being trained further in applying PI into the daily curriculum, I can clearly see how essential it is that students of this age learn these principles. In only a short time I have seen fantastic results in all students from those on the SEN register to even a pupil who is on our school Gifted and Talented list! This proves that this programme can work from Reception all the way through to the most able student in Key Stage 2 which I could not say of any other phonics programme that I have ever come across. This is something that I think makes it so unique. The children have all been engaged and have made tremendous progress in handwriting, spelling and their ability to read unfamiliar words. One pupil commented that, " starting our new phonics programme has been the best thing that has happened in school this term!"
Debbie Hepplewhite