England: Elizabeth Truss speaks about improving teaching

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

England: Elizabeth Truss speaks about improving teaching

Post by debbie »

Elizabeth Truss clarifies some myths about expectations for teachers' practice and accountability:

Education Minister Elizabeth Truss speaks to Reform about new freedoms for teachers over materials, assessment and professional development.

Introduction

It’s a pleasure to be back at Reform.

I want to start with a story. I was visiting a primary school in East Anglia a few months back. I was talking to the teachers. It was late on a Friday evening, about 6pm.

And as most people were heading off for a night in front of the TV - or for a night in the pub - they were in their classrooms.

They were working away on something called ‘assessing pupils’ progress’, or APP.

It’s basically a massive sheet which records whether a child is achieving in a subject against a set of things called ‘assessment focuses’.

It was introduced under the old National Strategies in 1998, and came with a 40-page guidance document. Many schools felt forced to adopt this enormous, cumbersome process.

But here’s the funny thing: this government got rid of it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... g-teaching
Debbie Hepplewhite