Interesting thread on mumsnet - had to contribute

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Interesting thread on mumsnet - had to contribute

Post by debbie »

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/175 ... 7#39150727

Here is an interesting and important thread on 'mumsnet' which is a very popular forum based in the UK.

It was flagged up on the UK Reading Reform Foundation message forum and I thought it was worth chipping in because I have so much sympathy and understanding with the issues that are being raised.

What they reflect is that there is no 'common understanding' or common standard of application and provision of systematic synthetic phonics from school to school.

Further, I am suggesting that the official systematic introduction of the 'simple code' (all the sounds and mainly one spelling for all the sounds) is not sufficient.

Remember that my way forwards is the two-pronged 'systematic' and 'incidental' phonics introduction. This is where the future lies - although clearly this is the type of practice that should be occurring in schools which have adopted my programmes and follow my guidance!

Just because a school uses one's programme, does not mean it is delivered according to the guidance!
Debbie Hepplewhite