England: Prof Diane McGuinness comments on RR research

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

England: Prof Diane McGuinness comments on RR research

Post by debbie »

http://rrf.org.uk/messageforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5815
5). There is also a major question that I would like answered, and that is - when children begin with a good synthetic phonics programme, WHY THEN are they shifted to a programme (RR) which contradicts everything the children have been taught so far? Surely the REAL test for what works is one-to-one teaching with the same programme they were being taught. If they get JP/PhonoGraphix (Bristol schools) why then, don't they get one-to-one tutoring using these programmes?? What would happen if they did? It would be FAR FAR cheaper to do it this way. So what is the problem?

Coincidentally, I have asked the Department for Education in England whether they are still funding Reading Recovery - thus giving the teaching profession contradictory guidance regarding teaching methods for reading instruction.

Diane asks this very same question above!
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I am linking to another thread about the literacy rates in New Zealand and the use of Reading Recovery in New Zealand - is this the best way forwards for intervention and early reading instruction - I, and others, think not...

ttp://phonicsinternational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446
Debbie Hepplewhite