Middleton Primary Sch: Great example of SSP info for parents

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Middleton Primary Sch: Great example of SSP info for parents

Post by debbie »

Google flagged Middleton Primary School up on my email account today - and on investigation I was really pleased to see some supportive information provided for parents - more helpful than most schools.

Middleton Primary School uses the Oxford Reading Tree Floppy's Phonics Sounds and Letters programme in the infants - and then progresses to Phonics International in Key Stage Two as a spelling and comprehension/vocabulary programme:

http://www.middletonprimaryschool.co.uk ... on/phonics
Floppy Phonics is split into 5 stages which they will progress though during their time at school. Once children are confident at Stage 5 they move onto learning more about the rules and patterns of grammar, punctuation and spelling. In Key Stage 2 children move on from Floppy Phonics and follow Phonics International. This has a greater emphasis on reading comprehension and vocabulary skills. For children who have gaps in their phonics learning, they will continue to have Floppy Phonics based lessons.
Last edited by debbie on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Middleton Primary School's website then goes on to provide information about the actual 'sounds' and the key picture words that prompt the sounds - and they even provide video footage of a teacher saying the sounds with word examples. The teacher 'says the sounds' very well and in the same order as the ORT Floppy's Phonics Sounds and Letters programme:

http://www.middletonprimaryschool.co.uk ... -middleton

For example, see 'Stage 1'. You click on any of the 'steps' and it takes you to a page with the video footage and word list:
At Stage 1 children are introduced to 24 codes that are used to for the common phonemes (sounds) used in many words. On the pages in this section you will see the sound at the top of the page. This is shown inside two slashes so that children recognise this as the sound, for example /a/. The code, or letters, that we use for this sound is also shown alongside a video of the sound and a picture clue that can prompt children to remember the sound. At the bottom of the page are a list of example words and some links to useful resources for that sound.

Step 1 /s/ code s
Step 2 /a/ code a
Step 3 /t/ code t
Step 4 /p/ code p
Step 5 /i/ code i
Step 6 /n/ code n
Step 7 /m/ code m
Step 8 /d/ code d
Step 9 /g/ code g
Step 10 /o/ code o
Step 11 /k/ code c
Step 12 /k/ code k
Step 13 /k/ code -ck
Step 14 /e/ code e
Step 15 /u/ code u
Step 16 /r/ code r
Step 17 /h/code h
Step 18 /b/ code b
Step 19 /f/ code f
Step 20 /f/ code ff
Step 21 /l/ code l
Step 22 /l/ code -ll
Step 23 /ul/ code -le
Step 24 /s/ code -ss
Visit the 'Step 23' page here:

http://www.middletonprimaryschool.co.uk ... step-23-le
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

And of course you can hear me 'saying the sounds' whilst looking at the graphemes and word examples as shown on my Phonics International Alphabetic Code Charts here:

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/new ... ounds.html

I made sure when I worked with Oxford University Press as their phonics consultant for the ORT Floppy's Phonics Sounds and Letters programme that I incorporated into Floppy's all the essential resources that I trialled in Phonics International - including the Alphabetic Code Chart, the Alphabet, the Frieze Posters, the Say the Sounds Posters, the Activity Sheets and the alternating Cumulative Texts!

There are many primary schools that use the Oxford Reading Tree Floppy's Phonics Sounds and Letters programme followed by Phonics International in Key Stage Two (or from Year Two in many cases).

:wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite