New Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters!

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

New Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters!

Post by debbie »

This brand new strand is available to download in unit 1 (all brand new items are added at the bottom of the bank of resources in the appropriate unit).

Do have a look! :wink:

The Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters are A4 in size and ideal for visual display.

You might choose to use them only as you introduce each new letter/s-sound correspondence, or you might use them as part of a 'rolling programme' or, perhaps, use them as you introduce each whole unit. The posters are colour-coded according to their unit with a band of colour at the bottom of each poster.

Classrooms with plenty of space could use them as a background frieze around the room and then refer to them as you focus on each grapheme.

Alternately, you could use a few at a time on your actual 'phonics wall display'.

I am really encouraging the practice of every class teacher identifying an ample-sized phonics wall display as a vital part of their teaching. I see this very rarely in my teacher-training travels I am sad to say. I might, however, see a commercial programme's frieze posters in classes which should be beyond that stage of the Alphabetic Code - but then there are very few posters available for teachers to use in a progressive way. One huge advantage of an online phonics programme is the ease with which it can provide a significant amount of visual display resources for the rolling programme of work for several years' worth of work!

With the range of resources of the Phonics International programme, teachers can regularly use such a wall display with a rolling programme of the various posters as appropriate.

They could also include a semi-permanent version of The Alphabetic Code overview chart on, or near, this wall display - for constant reference (or colouring-in as new correspondences are taught).

You could include 'rehearsal' resources such as the Say the Sounds posters currently available in units 1 to 5.

Please try to make a truly work-in-progress-wall-display part of your effective teaching and learning practice.

I think the new Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters would also be good for displaying in clip files or other transparent leaf presentation files - and they would look equally effective if they were reduced in size to make A5 booklets or mini-clip-files.

Keep your eyes open for the uploading of the units 2 to 6 Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters which is very imminent. I shall add to this thread when these are available! :lol:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

There are a further 22 Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters now added to the resources in unit 2 (module 2).

Find the strand at the bottom of the list of resources. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

The Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters are now uploaded for units 3 and 4. :D

unit 1 - 12 posters

unit 2 - 22 posters

unit 3 - 11 posters

unit 4 - 14 posters

59 new Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters - more to follow! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
Susan

Post by Susan »

Goodness, Debbie! You have been busy :) These look very good.
debbie

Post by debbie »

Tip of the iceberg, Susan, both MrH and I have been exceedingly busy!

Many more goodies to come! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Yay - unit 5 and unit 6 posters now uploaded!

unit 5 - 15 posters

unit 6 - 26 posters

So there are now 100 new Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters in total in units 1 to 6. :lol:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

An additional 24 Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters have now been added to unit 7.

More to follow for units 8 to 12! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters are now uploaded into all twelve units. :wink:

I deliberately 're-introduce' the occasional grapheme so that it can be revised and grouped with a new set of spelling alternatives. One example of this is where you will find 'kettle' in unit 2 as an example of the /ul/ sound - but then it is repeated in unit 7 where other /ul/ graphemes are introduced - 'il', 'al', 'el' - along with the '-le'.

unit 7 - 24 posters
unit 8 - 18 posters
unit 9 - 9 posters
unit 10 - 7 posters
unit 11 - 6 posters
unit 12 - 11 posters (another one to be completed)

This brings the total Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters to 175 thus far.

I also have more posters to add to unit 2 (table, emu, behind, yo-yo, unicorn) as examples of single vowel letters acting as code for long vowel sounds.

Then there are some double consonant letters posters to add to unit 3 (rabbit, puddle, juggle, hammer, bonnet, puppet, arrow, letter).

These total numbers of posters sounds substantial but please bear in mind that it may take three years or more to complete the Phonics International programme - and there will also be enough material from simpler to more complex within any one unit to enable people to re-visit units over time as appropriate. :lol:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

With new 'long vowel sound' Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters in unit 2 and 'double consonant letters' in unit 3, this brings the total of Posters in this particular strand up to 189.

Of course this will provide for around three or more years worth of work and will provide for all age ranges and 'filling the gaps' of learners' Alphabetic Code knowledge - so use as necessary.

If you were focusing your teaching on the notion that the single letters a, e, i, o, u, and y are code for long vowel sounds as in 'table', 'emu', 'behind', 'yo-yo', 'unicorn' and 'fly', then you could use all six of the Posters in unit 2 at the same time - along with the special posters of short and long vowel sounds in the Mini Posters strand in unit 2.

If you were focusing your teaching on double consonant letters which only need to be 'sounded out' as one sound when blending for reading and which 'alert' the reader that the preceding vowel is code for its short vowel sound, then you could use all eight double consonant letter Posters as examples of this. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite