Addressing the concerns of a secondary teacher

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Addressing the concerns of a secondary teacher

Post by debbie »

I was notified by a colleague of a posting written by a secondary teacher who is passionate about literacy but rather disparaging about phonics in the early years.

This issue is at the heart of my work - changing the perception and understanding about the role of phonics - which we need for lifelong literacy.

So if you are in the secondary sector - or worry about the quality and quantity of phonics provision for your child or pupils, this posting and my responses to it may be of interest:

http://inspiringtchers.wordpress.com/20 ... acy-innit/
Literacy, innit?

Posted on October 26, 2012 by judeenright

After some years as a secondary teacher and middle leader I started to take an intense interest in primary literacy eight years ago.

Those were the heady days of the Primary Literacy Strategy and I noticed a lot of pressure on nursery children to meet “Early Learning goals” that required them to read and write from a young age. Colouring-in seemed to be the main pedagogical approach. And whether this involved paint, pens, collage or paper, my focus group of one had such a focus for so long on the letter “D” that at times he seemed to being brainwashed by a cult. The day all the children came out of nursery with him wearing a cone shaped hat with a “D” on was probably the low point. (Or was it the day when every child brought in a “mobile” they’d been asked to make for Science week and half the class had made huge brick sized phones?)
Debbie Hepplewhite