NEW CORE TEACHER MODELLING CARDS and...

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

NEW CORE TEACHER MODELLING CARDS and...

Post by debbie »

David has now uploaded some brand new CORE TEACHER MODELLING CARDS and the LEARNING INTENTIONS for the 'I can read' cumulative texts and 'Questions'.

I wrote about this via an eNewsletter (below). If you have not signed up for our eNewsletters, the way you do this is through the electronic form near the bottom of the PI homepage which advertises the free 'eTutorials'. Not only do you get a series of tutorials, we also send out eNewsletters with other information about research, current affairs, new materials, conferences, international developments and so on.

Anyway, here is the news about the new materials and other additions to the PI bank of resources as written in the eNewsletter:

Hello my International Friends – I hope you and your families are well!

Thank you as always to those of you who have emailed me with news, findings and questions – I always appreciate hearing from you.

I have news about some more additions to the full Phonics International programme:

Firstly, I have had such good feedback about the usefulness of the CORE TEACHER MODELLING CARDS which are one of the main resources in the EARLY YEARS STARTER PACKAGE that I have added them to the top of each webpage of Units 1 to 6 of the full Phonics International programme for convenience.

These provide the teacher with an all-in-one visual aid to introduce the new or focus letter/s-sound correspondence and its key picture and printed word along with a few cumulative words to model sounding out and blending and a few words for the teacher to model oral segmenting and spelling-with-handwriting (and checking).

These cards can then be used as the ‘Frieze’ by transferring them to the main display wall after using them for the lesson introduction.

Secondly, I have also had requests to create this same resource for Units 7 to 12 of the Phonics International programme – so I have done exactly that!

I have made a further 76 CORE TEACHER MODELLING CARDS to introduce the new and focus letter/s-sound correspondences to match the headings of the core SOUNDS BOOK ACTIVITY SHEETS for Units 7 to 12 of the full Phonics International programme. So these are actually brand new resources.

You will find them near the top of each webpage – and I have included very detailed blurb alongside to give a full explanation of their use and the different materials you can use for the CORE TEACHER MODELLING CARDS.

Thirdly, I asked David to add the essential guidance of ‘How to set up and use your core and essential Phonics International resources’ to the top of each Unit’s webpage. Although this guidance is already accessible via a big pink button on the Phonics International homepage, I consider it to be so important that I wanted it not to be missed by any user of the programme.

As teachers of different ages might become familiar only with some of the Units of Phonics International, I decided I wanted the guidance on every webpage so it cannot be missed.

Click HERE for the guidance to which I refer:

Finally, we have also added another useful resource in the ‘Extras’ webpage – the LEARNING INTENTIONS for the I CAN READ texts and QUESTIONS. This is also a new resource.

These consist of printable LEARNING INTENTIONS which should remind teachers of the different ways to use the I CAN READ cumulative texts and QUESTIONS – and save the teacher a great deal of time by sharing these with learners to support routine use of the resources. I recommend that the learners themselves can also have a copy in their personal phonics folder – anyway, the guidance explains my recommendations alongside the pdf link.

You can find the ‘Extras’ webpage at the bottom of the index of the 12 Units of resources.

Remember that I have already added other resources to support England's new National Curriculum for English via the ‘Extras’ webpage and I’ve added a link to the official curriculum itself.

Unless Key Stage Two (junior) teachers already have a very comprehensive spelling programme (with actual resources and not just guidance) and a very comprehensive phonics intervention programme, Phonics International would really prove to be very helpful for both teaching and learning purposes.

Warmest regards to all,

Debbie
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

This is the essential guidance that I refer to above:

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/how2.pdf
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

When we send out an eNewsletter, we always get a handful of messages such as this one:
Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for keeping us always posted with your latest ideas and innovations. We've been implementing this programme for more than 4 years and both teachers and children find it very useful and attractive.

Regards from Uruguay!

Gabriela Remedi
I really appreciate those of you who keep in touch with me - thank you! :D
Debbie Hepplewhite