New: Phonics Spelling Dictionary

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

New: Phonics Spelling Dictionary

Post by debbie »

We have added a new resource on the 'Extra Resources' webpage.

This new webpage can be found immediately below the Unit 12 section via the index page.

The Phonics Spelling Dictionary has been designed to last for a considerable period - and for pupils to build up their own dictionary of personal words as required.

Teachers can also utilise the dictionary as part of their spelling instruction to build up spelling word banks over time.

There are suggestions for use on the last (back) page of the dictionary.

This is a very large resource and guidance has been provided for the best way to print and present the dictionary.

It should prove useful as a long-term spelling resource. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I've just received the most fabulous photographs of children in Year 5 in a school in South America - all holding their own copy of the Phonics International Phonics Dictionary up in the air!

The school has gone to the trouble of printing out multiple copies of the dictionary (one for each child) and then ring-bound the dictionaries.

This must have been quite a feat as there are a large number of pages in the dictionary - and a large number of children!

Dictionaries have been made for children in other year bands too.

It is my understanding that the dictionary will last the children for a number of years as they build up the word contents inside.

Just to explain - this version of a dictionary is a 'working document' which children fill in - and apart from a few words with unusual spellings, the aim is for the children to work with the word banks to help them recall them. The act of writing them and focusing on them will be a more effective way of recalling the words in the word banks and their spellings than just reading them.

I am seeing if I can get permission to show the photographs!

Fantastic work with synthetic phonics has taken place in this school for a number of years. Some of the teachers have indicated that they will write a diary recount of developments in their school to share with others.

Such reports are very important (see reports on homepage of Phonics International) to show just what is possible by explicitly teaching the English alphabetic code and the skills of blending and segmenting.

I would welcome any reports that teachers or parents and tutors may be willing to send to share their work and findings. :D

A report can be as simple as you like, or full of detail and test results, whatever you feel able to write - to describe your 'journey' with this type of teaching. Thank you in anticipation! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

This is the email that was sent to us along with the photographs. Please note that the teachers in the school are reaching out to other schools who may be using the dictionary to share ideas on how to use it:

Dear Debbie and David,

I took these pictures some days ago when we introduced your Phonics Dictionary: the students were thrilled! These are the 5th graders; the 4th graders (also 64 kids) will start tomorrow.

The Teachers´comments were that it was very enlightening regarding how to select, categorize,the importance of tidy cursive, the pros and cons of having all the same words, plus not being able to take it home before they finish 6th grade! (they showed it to their parents before starting, though.)

I think it would be great if you could help us contacting other schools who are also using it so we can compare and contrast words chosen, activities and games to carry out in class, whichever other tips can guide us into making full profit of this!
If any teachers are interested in sharing their ideas, please make a posting direct to this forum or write to me at:

debbie@phonicsinternational.com

I can then help you liaise with the school direct. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite