New Teeny Reading Resources in development - great feedback

Forum for 'Teeny Reading Seeds' and the 'Early Years Starter Package'
debbie

New Teeny Reading Resources in development - great feedback

Post by debbie »

I had a lovely surprise today in response to some new resources being trialled for the Teeny Reading Seeds programme:
Completely fab - worked a dream. Differentiation built in - the new starters just finger tracked over the big m and then wrote over it with a pencil, and I held their hands while they did a couple of the small ms. The really established children were able to do all the writing independently and read the words, and some had a go at writing 'man' next to the glass fitter (I love him!). Bearing in mind this is January, these are very usable. I love their simplicity and skills focus. I anticipate that as the children become familiar with the format the majority will become independent to do a reasonable proportion of the sheet, with some able to tackle it all. They are the perfect introduction to the programme, getting them in the routine of independence and skills practice.

Our Reception teacher spotted them today and said how fab they would be if there was one for every bit of code in units 1-5 - now there's a project for you!

Thanks so much
:D

So...coming soon! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

More feedback:
Absolutely great Debbie! I love it, and I also love the way the concept has grown over the past three years - it really is supporting the key things that make PI so successful now. I used the T sheet today - very successful again. I stuck one in their phonics book and sent the same one home for them to do again - they loved this! As you say, their own 'treasure' - they know what to do with it because they have done it in school, so they can really 'show off' how clever they are when they practice again at home!
:D

Coming soon...!
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

These sheets are working really well. A significant group are becoming very independent with the familiar format, so I can now easily work with three or even four of the more established children at a time. I was working with my able group on the /i/ one yesterday - I got interrupted and when I turned back one little boy had written 'fics' under the picture of the drawing pins, which he explained was because they fix things to the wall! The children love them and it is hard fighting them off when I get them out as they all want to come at once! I'm not making it up - you should come and observe it!
More positive feedback! :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

We've made great progress on our new www.phonicsinternationalpreschool.com website recently. As a consequence of these developments, I've just received a wonderfully encouraging email from someone in England who knows what a struggle it is to stop the decline in the anti paper, anti pencil, anti desk, culture!

This looks amazing Debbie. Thank you to you and David for all your hard work. Teeny Reading Seeds has grown and become so much better over the past three years, and I really think it is a fantastic start for them, should they want it.

Been reading a book about parenting cultures around the world this holiday. One of the things it commented on is that in Asian communities it is common for children to start learning formally at a much younger age than we do in the west, and contrary to popular myth over here, it does not seem to damage children for life - it is part of a culture of valuing education highly and the children go on to do very well, regardless of where in the world they live.

So I think this is a really valuable part of the Phonics INTERNATIONAL family, as it respects other cultures and their approaches to learning too. Teeny Reading Seeds is providing something for everyone here which is in line with the core skills we want to promote.

Have a great rest of Easter!
Debbie Hepplewhite