'I can read' word lists with black and white pictures

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

'I can read' word lists with black and white pictures

Post by debbie »

These have now been uploaded in unit 5 - unit 6 to follow shortly.

This a parallel resource to the I CAN READ texts and full colour pictures.

Learners themselves must always have something to 'do' actively in order to help them learn material.

In units 1 to 5, the word lists with the black and white pictures include all the main words in the I CAN READ texts and not just the words with the focus spelling variations. It is very good reading practice to read words in lists such as these - and not always in the context of sentences where it is much easier to read words as the context supports the reading process. Good readers need to be able to read words in lists very confidently.

From units 6 to 12, the word lists consist of words with the focus spelling variations (alternatives).

This resource is already uploaded in the other units 1 to 5 and 7 to 12. :)
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Unit 6 black and white pictures now uploaded!

:D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/uni ... mbined.pdf

This is the free unit 1 example where the word list consists of the words of the I CAN READ text.

For a spelling activity, cut off, or fold back, the word list, and then model how to say the words in the picture very slowly so the individual sounds of each word will 'pop out'.

This can be undertaken as a simple 'oral' excercise (spoken only) or as a full spelling-with-writing activity (or with grapheme tiles or magnetic letters as an alternative or interim activity).

Tally each sound identified from beginning to the end of the spoken word onto the thumb and fingers of the left hand, palm facing, and then count to see how many sound dashes are required for the spelling process. Don't 'count' the sounds whilst identifying the sounds - but only after the thumb and fingers have been raised.

Write the graphemes (letters or letter groups) from left to right on the sound dashes.

Edit the word (check it) by sounding out and blending the graphemes from left to right. Modify the spelling if necessary.
Debbie Hepplewhite