More free resources on the Free Resources webpage!

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

More free resources on the Free Resources webpage!

Post by debbie »

We've just added some more useful resources on the Phonics International 'Free Resources' webpage! :wink:

Look out for these titles in the pale blue sections:

IMPORTANT
Guidance for Phonics Routines
Poster for Teaching Incidental Phonics for Reading Three Posters for Phonics Routines – Reading, Spelling, Handwriting

More Tricky Words’ Posters

A Simple Explanation of the Roles of Phonics and Language Comprehension for Reading and Spelling

(The 2-side document immediately above may be useful for schools to provide for parents as a simple explanation document.)

Just a note, also, that we have revised:

The Spanish Alphabetic Code Chart
This is interesting to compare with the English Alphabetic Code

I hope these may be of interest and support to those of you who are teaching or tutoring in the synthetic phonics teaching principles – or for those of you who train student-teachers.

When I visit schools and watch video clips about synthetic phonics teaching and learning, I am finding that teachers sometimes confuse the phonics routines and any hand-actions to be used alongside the routines. For example, teachers may model blending (for reading) by using the thumb and fingers for ‘tallying sounds’ which is actually the hand routine for spelling – not blending for reading. When blending for reading, we simply use the index finger to point under the graphemes from left to right – and so on.

For the ‘guidance’ and ‘posters’ for the phonics routines, I’ve broken down the phonics routines into the core skills of blending for reading, segmenting for spelling and handwriting – but I’ve outlined the ‘sub-skills’ that are part of the core skills! This might help literacy coordinators and phonics managers when they are observing and supporting their colleagues.

Your feedback, of course, is always welcome.

We’ll have some exciting news about resources for ‘handwriting’ very shortly – so watch this space as they say!!! :D
Debbie Hepplewhite