About Ability Grouping and 'Group Work'

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

About Ability Grouping and 'Group Work'

Post by debbie »

I'm starting a thread on ability grouping and setting, or streaming, as this is another issue in education which is both highly topical and relevant to my work.

In England, for example, many early years settings and schools are instructed to ability group their children for phonics whether or not the teachers prefer it - and whether or not the guidance underpinning a specific phonics programme suggests it as part of the rationale.

The blog posting below is a good starting point for launching a thread on ability grouping - it's not about phonics or early literacy - but about the lack of evidence supporting ability grouping - and, importantly, the scenario where teachers may feel they have no choice but to be seen to provide teaching in ability grouping.

The blog is called 'EduResearch Matters' and it is Australian based but relevant everywhere:

http://www.aare.edu.au/blog/?p=502
Novice teachers challenged by ability grouping contrary to evidence

July 27, 2014

By Matthew Clarke

In Australia across most school systems there is no informed, explicit and coherent policy approach to ability grouping. There is in fact a federal and state government policy silence in relation to the issue.

That has not stopped systems, schools and teachers from grouping students according to their perceived ability. The unintentional, ‘ unsanctioned’ or ‘ unconscious’ growth of ability grouping practices in Australian education raises questions of the relationship between policy and practice. Specifically, we usually think of policy as something that leads to practice. But as far as ability grouping is concerned the burgeoning practice across Australia has in effect become policy by default.
Last edited by debbie on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Flagged up by Harry Webb on Twitter, a great blog posting 'What I have learned about group work':

http://principalprivate.wordpress.com/2 ... roup-work/
What I have learned about “group work”

Posted on September 14, 2014 by rosmcm1962

I love working with colleagues to solve problems: I am happy to lead in discussing problems, garnering the experience of others and coming to conclusions. I adore working with my Headteacher colleagues, particularly @headsroundtable, to share experience, exchange ideas and develop policy. I am happy to serve on a number of working parties for thinktanks, DfE and the Church of England where I learn and contribute in equal measure and feel I am doing good. These real life working experience examples are, however, so far removed from the horror of “group work” when in formal learning experiences as to have almost no relevance. We subject learners to group work because it “develops the skills needed in later life”; except it really doesn’t.

When I was a teacher in the 1980s I felt a bit embarrassed that my students and I all seemed to like teacher-led discussion best. I used to throw into lesson plans various types of group work every now and then, and I believed that there was something deeply inadequate in my teaching ability because students always seemed to learn best when I led. I never, ever spoke about this and as I “rose through through the ranks”, I just gave it less and less thought.
Do you recognise any of these feelings:
Then, about a year ago, I was driving back to Yorkshire with Roisin as my only passenger and she began to outline in graphic detail her deep seated loathing of group work. It went something like this:

*Teachers deliberately put you with people who aren’t like you so you “can learn from each other” (eye roll).

*The people you are with never want to work, often simply expecting a single person to do it all due to their reputation as smart and “if you try to get them working, well, it isn’t worth the grief”.

*It makes those single people resent the rest of their group.

*Eventually you decide to just do the work because you need the marks and don’t want to score low marks and “they just let you – it was exactly what they expected to happen”.

*The teachers never realise what has gone on despite how obvious it may be.

*Then when the group gets good marks, because you have done all the work, you just feel resentful because the others do not deserve the commendation.

*And at the end of it all, people still belittle you for your attitude to learning after taking full advantage of it.

Well this description was very different to any I would have given, but it had the complete ring of truth.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Harry Webb again on 'Group Work':

http://websofsubstance.wordpress.com/20 ... roup-work/
Group Work

Posted on October 4, 2014 by Harry Webb

I want to discuss the issue of group work. I am going to conflate concepts that may have slightly different technical meanings; group work, collaborative work, cooperative learning. This will annoy the purist but I would suggest that, for most teachers, the differences are not clear or even particularly relevant. My definition encompasses all strategies that involve students working in small groups or pairs in order to learn something. I am going to talk about why and how group work could be used and comment on its status with teachers and educationalists.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Article in the TES about classroom seating:

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6446889
Behaviour – Make them sit up and take notice
news
|

Published in TES magazine on 17 October, 2014 | By: Greg Ashman

Rows, groups, horseshoes – it’s all the same, right? Wrong. Research says the layout of your room can have a huge impact on learning

The notion of “rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic” has become a popular metaphor for pointlessness. What could be more trivial than discussing seating arrangements when we have so many other important matters to attend to? It extends to education, too: why bother worrying where a child is sitting when you should be educating them?

The trouble with this view is that evidence strongly suggests that seating arrangements have a considerable impact on behaviour, and thus on learning.

For many years, there was little debate; nearly all schools put children in rows. That all changed in 1967 with the Plowden report, which took the emphasis away from whole-class teaching and presented plans for primary schools in which the desks were arranged in groups, with children facing each other.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Nick Gibb, Minister of State for School Reform on whole class teaching v group work:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rning.html
Minister tells schools to copy China - and ditch trendy teaching for 'chalk and talk': Teachers speaking in front of a class 'much more effective than independent learning'

Education Minister Nick Gibb said 'whole class teaching' is more effective

*It involves the teacher instructing all pupils together using blackboard
*Remarks follow scheme which saw teachers from UK visit Shanghai
*Researchers have found children in China achieve 30% higher marks
*Method was used in UK until '50s when it was deemed too authoritarian
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

'The Quirky Teacher' complains about grouped tables and the advantages of 'desks facing forwards' - and other sensible issues - I agree:

https://thequirkyteacher.wordpress.com/ ... omment-463
Why must I look at the back of your head?

29 April 2015

This is a mad QT post about an ideal classroom, and about the annoying things I have no choice but to put up with. My ideal classroom involves the use of a V8 engine, obviously.

So, first up is group tables. I’ll be honest: I hate them. I spent a bit of time at a secondary school recently and was amazed at how easy it was for me to get the attention of all the children in classes with tables facing forwards in rows. In my own classroom, I have that natural authority and presence but I still have to work a little harder because I must direct my requests to the back of children’s heads. Additionally, I find they make the most progress when they work in silence or just using the occasional whisper to clarify something with a friend. Based on this, I really think that tables need to face the front and be done with it. What can they learn from each other when there is a teacher who knows the most and can impart information without resorting to chatting about Minecraft?
Do read the full post! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite