ELL: Is phonics the way to go:

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

ELL: Is phonics the way to go:

Post by debbie »

I just added a comment on to Mrs Roberts' blog with reference to her questioning whether phonics is really the way to go for English Language Learners.

I do hope that she allows the comment I left when she has moderated it.

I spend a great deal of time and effort trying to change people's perception of phonics as only being 'limited' and 'baby stuff' to appreciating it is what the vast majority of literate adults apply to new and challenging words for both read and spelling purposes - but without even realising it.

Fingers crossed:

https://stephaniedroberts.wordpress.com ... #comment-3
Is phonics instruction really the way to go?

Phonics has been a normal part of instruction in primary classrooms for years. It has become such a natural part of instruction that few stop to question its effectiveness.

However, when one stops and looks at phonics through the eyes of an ELL it makes you wonder if phonics instruction really is the best way to approach reading instruction. In my studies this semester we have talked about the certain limitations of phonics. They include things such as:

*Phonics rules only apply to short words
*There are many words that are exceptions to phonics rules
*It is hard to actually apply those rules outside of the direct phonics instruction
*Most students do not use authentic texts to practice applying phonics

For these reasons, I wonder if it is time that we as classroom teachers begin to consider other options in the mainstream classroom to give students better opportunities to develop their abilities as readers
Anyway, to be safe, I've added my response below because I work hard to change the perception of phonics and I work hard to address the criticisms and worries about phonics:

I wrote:

Hi – my field is phonics for reading and spelling instruction and I cannot understand why you think that phonics is only pertinent to short words.

It is very common for teachers to have a rather limited view of phonics based on their own experiences or limited training to date or limited understanding of what content is available in good quality phonics programmes.

The starting point is introducing the use of comprehensive Alphabetic Code Charts which make the letter/s-sound correspondences more tangible and which provide a constant reference chart for adults and learners alike.

To this end, I provide a wide range of free Alphabetic Code Charts at http://www.alphabeticcodecharts.com which you might find well worth looking at.

My phonics work is ‘international’ and, in any event, many schools in English-speaking contexts also have learners with English as a new or additional language – and it is very important that phonics is understood as a lifelong body of knowledge applied to new and challenging words for reading and spelling even by literate adults (although the adults don’t always realise this is the case as it is so subconscious).

So, the perception of phonics as limited and ‘baby stuff’ really needs to change on many levels and materials need to be age-appropriate.

I provide a great deal of free information and guidance via my Phonics International site for anyone who is interested:

http://www.phonicsinternational.com .

There is also an advisory and feedback message forum at the site above – and many links to research and articles.

Kind regards,

Debbie
Debbie Hepplewhite