Carriacou: Radio Literacy and Phonics Programme

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Carriacou: Radio Literacy and Phonics Programme

Post by debbie »

Eileen Massey and Elizabeth Nonweiler have been championing synthetic phonics in Carriacou and Petite Martinique for a number of years and here is the latest development:

http://www.radiophonics.org
Radiophonics in Carriacou and Petite Martinique

This site hosts radio shows, work sheets lesson plans and other materials to teach reading, writing and spelling using Synthetic Phonics. For each school day there will be a lesson to teach one of the letters or sounds that make up the English language; with instruction on reading, writing and spelling. Included in each lesson are a Lesson Plan, a Work Sheet and a Recorded Lesson. This material is available free of charge to the people of Carriacou and Petite Martinique, for the purpose of teaching only.

With grateful thanks to :- Elizabeth Nonweiler of www.teachtoread.com Debbie and David Hepplewhite of www.phonicsinternational.com and Chris Jolly of www.jollylearning.com for allowing access to their material. Also thanks to Kim Mills for editing the broadcasts and to Kim and to Randy Cornelius for generously agreeing to broadcast the programmes. To Kevin Kirchhoff for his artwork and to Susan Valentine for her publicity advice and expertise.To Nerissa Fortune for her pioneering work Cynthia Caton for recording the programmes and Dejon Baker for being the voice of 'Tyrell the Turtle'.

Follow the adventures of Tyrell the Turtle on 'facebook'
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Here is the amazing history and lead-up to the 'radio phonics' programme - this is a heartwarming and fascinating read:

2007 Reading Reform Foundation Conference: Mrs Gertrud Niles 'SP in the Caribbean'

http://rrf.org.uk/messageforum/viewtopi ... =13&t=3783

Address by Mrs Gertrude Niles, Education Officer for Carriacou and Petite Martinique

I still cannot believe it; my mind rages on. Our children are reading every word on the page. They are not guessing. They are attacking every word and doing so successfully no matter the length of the word. This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the story of the children of Carriacou and Petit Martinique since the introduction of synthetic phonics in September 2006. The children of Carriacou and Petite Martinique, two islands in the southern Caribbean, are beaming with confidence, teachers are overjoyed and parents are overwhelmed and as Education Officer I must confess that I am unashamedly happy.
Debbie Hepplewhite