Have we got feedback backwards? - great food for thought

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Have we got feedback backwards? - great food for thought

Post by debbie »

Alex Quigley via his 'Hunting English' blog writes about feedback - and also provides links to other great blog postings on this topic:

http://www.huntingenglish.com/2014/09/2 ... d-forward/
Does a steepling pile of marking like this loom large in your nightmares?

The effect of good quality written feedback is one of those few constants that most teachers can agree has a positive impact on our students’ learning. With this universal truth acknowledged, we create assessment policies and armies of teachers scratch away in the books of their students, filling their waking hours with marking and feedback. Too often, our tough 9 to 5 is then followed by an evening stuffed with marking from 5 to 9. Is all this effort having the impact we desire? Is feedback indeed the gleaming holy grail of our practice it promises to be?

As an experienced teacher of over a decade, with some years in the bank as a subject leader of English who has conducted ample work scrutinies, I have seen my fair share of written feedback. I have seen teachers produce ample swathes of rich detail about what the student has done, and needs to do, in books and in folders. Spelling errors, praise, targets to improve. Time after time. Hour after hour of teacher time is ploughed into this worthy activity, but the issue is that too often the effort isn’t matched by the impact on learning.
Debbie Hepplewhite